- Georgetown LLM Programs
- Global Health Law LLM
- Global Health Law & International Institutions LLM
- International Business & Economic Law LLM
- National Security Law LLM
- Securities & Financial Regulation LLM
- Taxation LLM
- Dual Master of International Affairs and Law LLM (MIA/LLM)
- General Studies LLM
- Two-Year LLM with Certificate in Legal English for Foreign-Trained Lawyers
- Individualized Study LLM
- International Legal Studies LLM
- Georgetown LLM Certificates
- Georgetown LLM Summer Experience
- Georgetown LLM Admissions
- Georgetown LLM Scholarships
- Georgetown LLM Employment
- Georgetown LLM Contact
Georgetown LLM Programs
Georgetown Law offers 11 different Master of Laws (LLM) programs. The majority of the programs offered at Georgetown Law are available to U.S. students with a JD or international students who have completed a first degree in law. The programs offered to both students are:
- Global Health Law LLM is a part- or full-time program for individuals with a strong interest or background in U.S. and global health laws and policies. Students can take courses in global health, public and individual health, international economics, human rights, trade law, bioethics, biotechnology, and science. Students wishing to focus their studies can pursue interests such as disabilities, insurance, refugees, and intellectual property, and can undertake research and externships.
- Global Health Law & International Institutions LLM is a program forged in partnership with the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, Switzerland. This program also focuses on global health laws and policies but allows students to study for a semester at Georgetown and a semester in Geneva. Students take courses in food and drug law, bioethics, biotechnology, intellectual property, environmental health, global health, public health, and health and human rights. At Georgetown, students can work with the Linda and Timothy O’Neil Institute for National and Global Health Law, which features centers on health care financing and organization, health governance and regulation, disease prevention and health outcomes, and global health.
- International Business & Economic Law LLM is a program that allows students interested in cross-border business activities to create an LLM of their choosing from up to 70 available courses, including from areas like securities law, corporate law, commercial law, trade law, and dispute resolution.
- National Security Law LLM is a one-year program available to U.S. and international students interested in U.S. national security laws. Students take a wide range of courses, many of which include experiential learning, in areas such as national security investigation and prosecution, human rights, nonproliferation, bioterrorism and public health, law of armed conflict, cyber law, civil rights and civil liberties, intelligence law, procurement, foreign relations, and maritime law.
- Securities & Financial Regulation LLM is available to U.S. and international students interested in the activities regulated by the SEC. Curriculum is drawn from areas of banks and insurance companies, securities litigation, project finance, financial accounting and reporting, the mutual fund industry, commodity futures markets, corporate finance and governance, financial derivatives, mergers and acquisitions, and venture capital and technology transactions. The program is supported by adjunct faculty drawn from the SEC and other regulatory agencies.
- Taxation LLM is available to U.S. and international students interested in U.S. tax laws and has the highest enrollment of any graduate program at Georgetown Law.
- Dual Master of International Affairs and Law (MIA/LLM) is a dual program offering students of any nationality the opportunity to combine their law studies with careers focusing on international affairs. Students study at Georgetown and SciencesPo in Paris.
Georgetown Law also offers a few LLM programs specifically to international students who have already completed their first degree in law. These programs are:
- General Studies LLM is a program offered in partnership with the International Legal Studies LLM that is offered exclusively to students educated outside the United States who are interested in learning about the American legal system and international relations.
- Two-Year LLM with Certificate in Legal English for Foreign-Trained Lawyers is a program that allows students to further their legal education while improving their English in social and legal settings. For admission to the program, students must have an Internet-based TOEFL score between 85 and 100, professional legal work experience, and a strong academic record.
Finally, Georgetown Law offers a few programs to U.S. students with a JD. These programs are:
- Individualized Study LLM allows students to develop a personalized LLM course of study in any area of law.
- International Legal Studies LLM is a program offered in partnership with the General Studies LLM that allows U.S. and international students to work together and learn from each other.
Georgetown LLM Certificates
In addition to or in combination with a Georgetown LLM Program, students can study for a Georgetown Certificate to further specialize their degree. The eight Certificate Programs Georgetown Law School offers are:
- International Human Rights Law
- International Arbitration and Dispute Resolution
- Refugees & Humanitarian Emergencies
- International Taxation
- State & Local Taxation
- WTO Studies
- Employee Benefits
- Estate Planning
Georgetown LLM Summer Experience
Incoming one-year Georgetown LLM students can take one or all of the following three courses during the summer prior to the start of their program:
- U.S. Legal Discourse
- Foundations of American Law and Legal Education
- Professional Responsibility Law in the United States
Georgetown LLM Admissions
Georgetown Law prefers that all students submit applications through LSAC but does accept paper applications. All applications must include:
- Application form
- Application fee
- Personal statement
- Registrar’s certification form
- TOEFL score (above 100 Internet-based, or 600 paper-based) or IELTS score (above 7.5)
- Letters of recommendation
- Optional statement with any further additional information
- Conduct explanation (if applicable)
If you have spent a semester of your law degree at the Center for Transnational Studies in London, you are eligible for a fee waiver and TOEFL waiver request.
Students interested in pursuing an Individualized Study LLM, Taxation LLM or Securities & Financial Regulation LLM must comply with additional application requirements if they have been educated in the U.S. .
Georgetown Law accepts LLM students only for the fall semester, and applications from foreign students are accepted in the beginning of October through the middle of February. Specific dates are published each year.
Georgetown LLM Tuition
To learn more about Georgetown LLM tuition, visit the university website.
Georgetown LLM Scholarships
A number of scholarships and fellowships are available to help Georgetown LLM students fund their study.
- Global Health Law Scholars
- KPMG Tax Scholarship
- Institute of International Economic Law Student Fellowship
- Research Fellowships
- General Scholarships for International Students
For more information about scholarships for international students, visit ourScholarships for LLM Students page.
Georgetown LLM Employment
The Georgetown Law School Graduate Career and Professional Development center helps LLM students procure job opportunities with the help of a variety of resources, including resume and cover letter review, on-campus interviews, workshops, an online job posting database, an online mock interview preparation tool called InterviewStream, career counseling, networking events, a Spring U.S. Resume Collection and International Resume Collection, and prep and registration for high-profile recruitment programs such as the New York International Student Interview Program (ISIP) in January, and the Taxation Interview Program (TIP) in February.
Georgetown LLM Contact
Georgetown University Law Center
600 New Jersey Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20001
Phone: (202) 662-9036
Email the Georgetown University Law Center: firstname.lastname@example.org